With a striking modernist design inspired by the genius of Frank Lloyd Wright, this 14,000+ square foot architectural masterpiece extends over two levels and was built with the finest materials and craftsmanship.
The Felton Estate is located near the top of the ridge on a 20+ acre parcel high atop the Oakland / Berkeley hills, so as to take full advantage of the breathtaking panoramic views that stretch from wine country to Silicon Valley; with the San Francisco Bay, the five Bridges, and the shimmering cities of San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley in between.
Designed and built from 1996-1999, this spectacular 4+ bedroom, 5 full bath, 6 half bath, 7 fireplace manor, with its stunning architecture and unparalleled views, is the culmination of years of planning and execution by its owner, Robert W. Felton.
Sunrise or sunset, the views from virtually every window are infinitely inspirational. And the art and artistry of the design, materials, and construction, are no less divine. Every detail, from the infinity lap pool, to the copper topped domes, to the hand-picked stone, has been thoughtfully set in its place to create a sublime symmetry, and a balance with the beauty of the natural surroundings.
This magnificent estate property boasts some 200 lovingly manicured stocks of Pinot Noir grapes, as well as some 200 stocks of Chardonnay grapes. Even from the vineyards, the views are intoxicating. After the crush, store your favorite vintages in the extraordinary wine cellar and tasting room carved into the hillside, which is reminiscent of those found in Europe’s most historic castles.
Main Level: entry rotunda, grand living room with panoramic view terrace, conversation nook, formal dining area, evening dining area, two powder rooms, kitchen, pantry and caterers’ pantry, breakfast nook, breakfast bar, adjoining club room with full bar and the master suite.
Lower Level: art gallery, three bedrooms with en-suite baths, view-facing family room, two full office suites, wine cellar and tasting room, gymnasium, 60' lap pool, steam room, laundry room, flower room, kennel, party pantry, two storage rooms and 16 car garage.
Master Suite: his and her walk-in closets with custom built-ins, luxurious, spa-like bath area with detailed custom stone, tile, glass and lighting, Golden Gate Bridge views, sitting area with fireplace, private Jacuzzi, wet bar, private staircase to the gym, private foot-bridge to pool and sauna, view balcony, private sunning patio, and safe room with reinforced walls, door and separate phone line.
Interior Features Include:
• 14,000+ square feet of living space
• Striking views from almost every room
• Well-appointed, private Master Suite with private passageways to gym, pool & sauna.
• Three Guest Bedrooms with ensuite baths.
• Seven fireplaces.
• Dramatic light-reflecting Entry Rotunda with circular staircase
• Magnificent (2,000+ square foot) Living Room with floor to ceiling panoramic views
• 250-gallon, custom salt water fish tank in Clubroom
• Dedicated Art Gallery
• Dedicated Flower and Plant Studio
• Owner’s Office with view deck, bathroom, wet bar, custom built-ins, separate business visitors' entrance
• Wine Cellar with custom 2,500-bottle racks and Tasting Room with view to Golden Gate Bridge
• Huge 16-car Garage with over 3,000 square feet, open plan, I-beams (no posts)
Grounds Features Include:
• 20+ acres
• Invisible Edge 60’ lap pool
• Sauna, half bath and shower for pool area
• Private footbridge from pool to master suite
• Huge custom-designed hot tub with panoramic Bay views
• 800 foot tree-lined driveway with stately turnaround
• Professionally landscaped grounds
• 360-degree upper level view terrace and seating area
• Lower level circular patio with sitting wall and landscaped garden
• 40 square foot artificial putting green
• Dramatic waterfall with large imported boulders and reflecting pool
• Custom 'weeping wall' water feature at lap pool edge
• Custom designed fountains and dramatic water features throughout
• Custom designed sculptures and hardscape features throughout
• Hidden BBQ area
• Extensive walking paths with inviting sitting areas
• Custom designed intriguing walk path from entrance gate to home
• Fully level 2 acre walk along deer fence
• English cutting garden
• Fenced vegetable garden with raised herb beds
• 200 Pinot Noir vines
• 200 Chardonnay vines
• 44 producing Olive trees
• 24 producing Caper bushes
• Extensive outdoor lighting
• Computer controlled watering system
• Event and party overflow gravel parking lot
• Solar panel heating for the pool
• 46.5 KW solar electric system serving most of the property’s electricity needs
• Dedicated pump room and solar converter systems room
• Dedicated trash and recycling room
The Claremont neighborhood straddles both the Berkeley and Oakland borders. The landmark of this area is the majestic Claremont Hotel, a vast white wedding cake of a Victorian edifice perched on 22 acres in the hills. Two outdoor pools, ten tennis courts, a full-service spa, a completely equipped health club, and three onsite restaurants deliver stunning views and is popular with generations of locals as a luxurious getaway, and a traditional Mother’s Day breakfast.
The Claremont district was originally developed as a “city in a garden,” and featured lush landscaping, curving streets that hug the canyon hills, and open space. Homes on the leafy side-streets here provide a sense of old fashioned Berkeley elegance, with turn-of-the-century brown shingles, revivals and prairie-style houses sited on landscaped yards bursting with flowers.
Local shopping is centered on the Elmwood shopping district on nearby College Avenue. Old fashioned shops, friendly merchants, BART, the bank, grocery stores, bookshops, flower stands, cafes, restaurants, movies, the bakery, and the cleaners are all a short walk away.
The canyon is preserved as open space, with 150 acres owned by the University of California and 200 acres managed by the East Bay Park District. Garber Park, a 13-acre oak and bay tree woodland south of Claremont Avenue, is owned by the city of Oakland. Hiking trails reward ambitious hikers with panoramic views of the bay.
The community is served by John Muir Elementary and Claremont Middle School, which feature an active PTA and a new administration dedicated to providing more opportunities for students including a digital media lab, music program, and community garden.
Broker AssociateCompassDRE# 008888241.415.999.1113 mobilewww.StevenMavromihalis.com
Pacific Union International# 01344049510.735.6605 office510.735.6605 mobilewww.carlabuffington.com